What kind of dad do you strive to be?
I strive to be the kind of dad who is always there for his kids. I am very involved in their lives including coaching, Cub Scouts and every school event. I want to be someone they look up to and respect. I don't want to be just their dad, but a role model who teaches them how to be respectful and caring toward everyone around them. - Dave Lilja, Father of Three
Families First Colorado is hiring a part-time Fatherhood coordinator to help administer the Colorado Practitioner Network for Fathers & Families (CPNFF)
Training Opportunity Five-Day Training in the Project Fatherhood Men in Relationships Group (MIRG) Model will be held March 2- 6, 2014 at Children’s Institute, Inc., 2121 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, California 90026. The hours: Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.We prefer to receive applications from individuals who are capable of implementing a program in their agency. However, individual consideration will be made among applicants who have experience in the field and would like to know the model to help them reach out to fathers and significant others of at risk children. Due to federal funding there is no cost to the participants of this training. Read more.
Early Implementation Findings from Responsible Fatherhood Reentry Projects | January 2015 (PDF) Grantees of Community-Centered Ex-Prisoner Reentry Project Work with Fathers to Strengthen Families Across six states, grantees working with ex-prisoners used activities like counseling, parental and relationship education, financial planning, job search assistance, and subsidized and transitional employment opportunities; with the goal to help stabilize fathers and their families, move them toward self-sufficiency, and reduce recidivism. Learn more about the grantees and their work when you read the full report.
Fatherhood and mental illness - This paper from Australia provides practitioners and policy-makers with a broad overview of some of the key issues identified in the growing literature on paternal mental illness. Read more.
Family Strengthening Research: FY 2014 This report provides detailed summaries of major research investments by OPRE’s Division of Family Strengthening (DFS) along with brief overviews of past projects. Read more.
Fatherhood Research & Practice Network (FRPN) Research Video Series These videos highlight promising measures created by the FRPN for use in programs that work with fathers. Link
Compendium of Family Self-Sufficiency Surveys and Databases
2013 | Self-Sufficiency Research Clearinghouse The compendium provides overviews of a large number of national, state, and other large-scale surveys and administrative records databases used by researchers to study topics related to the self-sufficiency of low-income populations. It includes several publicly accessible, easy-to-use databases that are beneficial to practitioners and policymakers. Link
Presentation materials from Three Child Support Strategies to Increase Family Self-Sufficiency (August 2014 Webinar)
Facebook Posts (Link)
- Denver 1-Day Intro to Government Grants
- The Project Fatherhood Model - Five Day Training | March 2-6 | The Children's Institute
- The making of Dark Hearts, a 20 min silent short film that depicts the dynamics that take place between two low-income non-custodial parents with children. Information on the film can be found at www.darkheartsfilm.com
- Fatherhood Research & Practice Network Research Video Series: How to measure challenges that may impact paternal engagement.
- Breaking down barriers for boys and young men of color | @urbaninstitute
- Give Dads a Chance | Kathryn Edin | Johns Hopkins Public Health
- Why no paternity Leave?
- Family Strengthening Research: FY 2014 | OPRE Report
- Early Implementation Findings from Responsible Fatherhood Reentry Projects
- Fatherhood and mental illness: Australian report provides overview of key issues identified in literature on paternal mental illness
- "Three Child Support Strategies to Increase Family Self-Sufficiency" Webinar Resources
- Compendium of Family Self-Sufficiency Surveys and Databases
- When Dads Lean Back, the Benefits Pile Up @HuffPostBlog http://huff.to/17hBJ0x via @HuffPostParents
- Are Swedish dads the best parents in the world? http://www.konbini.com/…/inspir…/swedish-dads-johan-bavman/… via @Konbini
- Paternal care is life or death to stickleback
- National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse Webinar will focus on ways in which fatherhood programs can talk with fathers about mental health issues.
- Colorado Department of Human Services names Julie Krow new Deputy Executive Director for Community Partnerships
- Executive Function: What is it and why does it matter? - www.search-institute.org
- Part-time Fatherhood Coordinator position open at Families First Colorado
Events in bold updated or added this week
December 1, 2014-February 25, 2015
Bridges Out of Poverty Classes
February 2, 2015-April 9, 2015
Free tax preparation by AARP certified volunteers
February 17, 2015-February 20, 2015
16th Annual National Families & Fathers Conference
February 18, 2015-February 20, 2015
Joven Noble con Palabra And Xinachtli Rites of Passage Program Facilitator Curriculum Training
February 19, 2015-February 21, 2015
Dad 2.0 Summit
February 20, 2015
February Fundraiser for Padres Adelante Family Services Inc.
February 26, 2015-February 27, 2015
3rd Annual National Teen and Youth Fatherhood Conference
February 27, 2015
A screening and discussion of The Raising of America documentary “Are We Crazy About our Kids?”
February 28, 2015
Reaching Fathers in the Community presented by Father's United
March 2, 2015-March 6, 2015
Five-Day Training in the Project Fatherhood Men in Relationships Group (MIRG) Model
March 4, 2015
Intro to Government Grants - Denver 1-Day Workshop
March 19, 2015
SAMHSA Fund Development Training for Community and Faith Based Organizations
March 24, 2015-March 26, 2015
Center for Urban Families' 2015 PLI Summit: Pathways to Stability and Economic Success for Fathers and Families
April 14, 2015
COLORADO PRACTITIONERS NETWORK FOR FATHERS AND FAMILIES MEETING
May 12, 2015-May 14, 2015
2015 Federal Regions 8 & 10 Community Action Conference - Denver
June 9, 2015-June 12, 2015
17th Annual International Fatherhood Conference: "Responsible Fatherhood: Building Our Future Through Innovation, Evaluation and Accountability"
June 15, 2015-June 17, 2015
2015 Colorado Advocacy in Action Conference
Don't forget to check our listing of ongoing classes!