What is the most important piece of advice you’ve received about fatherhood?
“To be a good dad, you also need to be a good listener.” I give this advice to other dads now.
So often, dads get caught up in other things and it’s hard to listen. Being a good listener also goes back to giving your children your time. You can’t listen to your kids if you’re not present in their lives" - Demetrious Jenkins, father of five
OJJDP FY 2015 Second Chance Act Strengthening Relationships Between Young Fathers and Their Children: A Reentry Mentoring Project (OJJDP-2015-4053): This initiative will support the successful and safe transition of young fathers from secure confinement back to their families and communities. Grants will support mentoring and transitional services to offenders who are young fathers reintegrating into their communities. Mentoring and transition services should start during secure confinement and continue through the transition back to the community and post-release. Closing date: 3/2/2015 10 Awards with a $420,000 ceiling per award. Read more.
HHS updates Responsible Fatherhood Grants timelines
- Estimated Funding: $47,490,800
- Expected Number of Awards: 48
- Estimated Award Ceiling: $2,000,000
- Estimated Award Floor: $350,000
- Estimated Post Date: 03/24/2015 (updated)
- Estimated Application Due Date: 05/26/2015 (updated)
OFA has issued a Dear Colleague letter describing job-driven training resources. The Office of Family Assistance (OFA) encourages its grantees and partners to make TANF and other employment and training programs more job-driven. OFA has issued a Dear Colleague letter describing job-driven training resources, with a focus on steps that programs can take to engage employers and use labor market information to help improve employment outcomes for TANF recipients and other low-wage workers.The letter contains links to The Job-Driven Training Checklist, the Ready to Work: Job-Driven Training and Opportunity Report and more.
The Internal Revenue Service and the Free File Alliance have announced the launch of Free File, which makes brand-name tax software products and electronic filing available to most taxpayers for free. Free File is available only at IRS.gov/FreeFile
Toxic Stress in Low-Income Families: Understanding Long-Term Effects (webcast) Office of Family Assistance, Healthy Marriage and Responsible Fatherhood Initiative
Building Foundations of Resilience: An Overview of Promising Approaches to Buffer the Effects of Toxic Stress in Young Children
Facebook Posts (Link)
- Doctoral student seeks fathers to participate in survey on Black fatherhood
- Department of Justice released a solicitation for grant applications that support the successful, safe transition of young fathers back to their families and communities after confinement. This may be a great opportunity for your partners in the field. Deadline is March 2.
- Dove Targets Dads in Super Bowl Ad
- My Brothers Keeper Youth Kick off Summit - Denver Feb 14 | 10:00 AM - 2:00
- The National Movement for America's Children has re-branded as Connect the Dots
- Let child support go to kids, not government |Denver Post Editorial Board
- Julie Krow, Colorado Department of Human Services Director of the Office of Children, Youth and Families, has accepted a new position as the Chief Operating Officer of the Community Crisis Connection
- Results for America an initiative of America Achieves
- Child Trends’ What Works/LINKS database (Lifecourse Interventions to Nurture Kids Successfully) is a searchable register of over 650 programs that have had at least one randomized, intent-to-treat evaluation to assess child or youth outcomes related to education, life skills, and social/emotional, mental, physical, behavioral, or reproductive health.
- The Office of Family Assistance (OFA) encourages its grantees and partners to make TANF and other employment and training programs more job-driven.
- Toxic Stress in Low-Income Families: Understanding Long-Term Effects
- Nisha Patel, new Office of Family Assistance Director
- Fathers who spend time with their kids make happier employees
- Hands-on dad isn't a new phenomenon
- Can research from other disciplines inform #HeadStart about using data for continuous quality improvement? Read this new report from Urban Institute to learn more
- The Civic Canopy webinar series: Continuous Quality Improvement
Events (Link) Events in bold updated or added this week
December 1, 2014-February 25, 2015
Bridges Out of Poverty Classes
December 18, 2014-January 23, 2015
CRC Nonprofit Leadership & Management Program - Application Deadline January 23, 2015
January 24, 2015
Colorado Foster Care and Adoption Film Festival
January 28, 2015
Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll: How to be an askable adult about anything
January 29, 2015-April 23, 2015
Nurturing Fathers Class in Routt County
February 6, 2015
First Annual National Save our Sons Night (NSOSN)
February 14, 2015
My Brothers Keeper Youth Kick off Summit
February 17, 2015-February 20, 2015
16th Annual National Families & Fathers Conference
February 19, 2015-February 21, 2015
Dad 2.0 Summit
February 26, 2015-February 27, 2015
3rd Annual National Teen and Youth Fatherhood Conference
February 28, 2015
Reaching Fathers in the Community presented by Father's United
March 24, 2015-March 26, 2015
Center for Urban Families' 2015 PLI Summit: Pathways to Stability and Economic Success for Fathers and Families
May 12, 2015-May 14, 2015
2015 Federal Regions 8 & 10 Community Action Conference - Denver
June 9, 2015-June 12, 2015
17th Annual International Fatherhood Conference: "Responsible Fatherhood: Building Our Future Through Innovation, Evaluation and Accountability"
June 15, 2015-June 17, 2015
2015 Colorado Advocacy in Action Conference
Don't forget to check our listing of ongoing classes!